Director Recruitment - Coast to Capital
Coast to Capital is the Local Enterprise Partnership for one of the most diverse and exciting areas of England. This area includes a network of functional economic hubs including Croydon, Greater Brighton, East Surrey and West Sussex. It includes more than 2 million people and an economy of £50.7 billion gross value added, making it the seventh largest local economy in England.
In the six years since we were created, Coast to Capital has made significant progress in attracting investment and support to help our economy grow; including:
• Attracting more than £300m of public investment to upgrade our regional infrastructure, and to invest in the growth of business in the region
• Developing and delivering services to businesses in the region, focusing on SME and scale-up growth, exports and helping the education sector align with business needs
• Demonstrating leadership on strategic issues facing our regional economy, including around transport infrastructure, the development of skills to serve our future economy, and the economic importance of housing in the region.
Chaired by Tim Wates, the Coast to Capital Board brings together regional business leaders alongside senior politicians and leaders from Universities and Further Education. We form a unique partnership which makes us a powerful voice of challenge and advocacy for our region.
We are now looking to bring further business sector skills onto the Board in order to help lead the region and meet our ambitious vision set out in our new Strategic Economic Plan - Gatwick 360. Our vision by 2030 is for the towns and cities in the Coast to Capital area to be known around the world as fantastic places to live, to grow and succeed and for the area to become the most dynamic non-city region in England, centred around a highly successful Gatwick Airport.
Gatwick 360 sets out a ground breaking strategy for improving the productivity of a dispersed, internationally-facing economy that is closely linked to London. The strategy sets out eight priorities to grow the area’s economy which include specific actions on urban centres, business infrastructure, sustainable growth, skills, innovation, digital networks, transport and identity. The publication of the strategy is the first step in the LEP’s plan to negotiate a strong Local Industrial Strategy with Government and attract significant investment for the region. Supporting this process will be an important aspect of this role.
We are looking to appoint a Board Director, to help us address challenges in our operating environment over the coming years. We are also looking to bring specific finance skills and commercial expertise into the organisation, promoting a strong business ethos and commercial culture on the Board.
This role will lead on the delivery of our loan investments, helping to develop the Coast to Capital commercial strategy and taking overall responsibility for the future investments of the Growing Places Fund. The Growing Places Fund provides loan finance and/or equity funding to high growth projects in the Coast to Capital area. Further responsibilities as a Board member include:
• Contributing to the development of an effective private and public sector partnership
• Contributing to the implementation of the overall strategy and priorities and to help the Board maintain focus
• Contributing knowledge and expertise to illuminate the business issues facing the area, the strengths and opportunities and the initiatives which could be taken to drive business growth
• Attending meetings of the Coast to Capital LEP Board
• Attending and possibly chairing working groups and other meetings on specific issues
• Represent Coast to Capital from time to time.
We are committed to creating an inclusive organisation that promotes and values diversity. As such, we welcome applications from senior business figures from under-represented groups and encourage female business leaders to apply.
- Established in your field, with significant experience in senior roles.
- Strong finance skills and knowledge in order to bring strong financial acumen to the Board
- Excellent communication, influencing and problem solving skills
- Strong reputation and wider professional network
- Experience of working well with non-executive Directors or of performing a non-executive role
- Ability to engage with a wide range of stakeholders from local government, education and business sectors
- Proven track record in demonstrating leadership to deliver business strategy
- Ability to work closely with the Chief Executive and his senior team to support the work of Coast to Capital
- Understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing the economy in our region, and a commitment to creating an environment where business can flourish
- Familiarity with the wider issues affecting our region and a desire to make a difference to the area
- Able to offer the time and commitment necessary to make a success of these roles
- Live and/or work in the Region; or have or have had experience of participating in a business or businesses based in the Region
Hours - Approx 2 days a month
Terms and conditions
The term of appointment will be for three years, with an option to renew for a further two three-year terms if necessary. You will be required to attend up to five Board meetings a year, with a wider engagement in line with your Board responsibilities.
As an organisation which allocates public money on behalf of Government, Coast to Capital holds itself to the highest standards of public accountability and transparency. We set out how we do this in our Assurance Framework, which sets out the high quality governance arrangements that we have in place in order to ensure that our partners have confidence in the decisions that we make. All Coopted Directors are subject to the provisions of this assurance framework, and are given support and training as required by the Executive team to support them in doing this.
The post is not remunerated, although reasonable travel and expenses will be paid.
For a further discussion about these roles please contact Jonathan Sharrock (Chief Executive) either by telephone on 01403 333840 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
To make an application please send, by Monday 26 November, a full CV with a covering statement setting out how you believe you could fulfil the requirements of the key role to Katie Nurcombe, Head of Communications & Corporate Affairs at email@example.com
We will acknowledge your application within 24 hours. If you have not received confirmation please contact Katie Nurcombe on 01403 333840 to ensure we have received your application.
Interviews are expected to take place on Wednesday 12 December.
Further information about Coast to Capital may be found at our website: www.coast2capital.org.uk
Coast to Capital is committed to achieving diversity and equality of opportunity both as an employer and as a commissioner of services.