You’ll do more than the expected. You’ll do the unexpected.
We are looking for high performing and enthusiastic Software Engineers to join our Global Commercial Services technology team in American Express, Burgess Hill.
These roles will partner closely with our product owners within collaborative scrum teams, in an environment that values interesting technical challenges, using best practice design approaches and prioritises your professional development.
Your primary proven software development experience will be using Java Technologies; for example some of JPA and CDI, Spring MVC, Spring Data and Spring Boot and RESTful microservices.
- Writes clean, tested and monitored scalable code
- Works with Product Owners to prioritise features for ongoing sprints
- Works with Quality Engineers to ensure automated test scripts are incorporated for new features
- Performs all technical aspects of software development for assigned applications, including developing prototypes, writing new code and creating API's
- Designs and builds integration components and interfaces in collaboration with Architects and Infrastructure Engineers as necessary
Opening date for applications: 11/01/2019
Closing date for applications: 08/02/2019
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Relevant software development experience (minimum Java 7, Java 8 preferable) in a professional environment and/or comparable experience such as:
- Demonstrated experience working in a team of Engineers
- Hands-on expertise with application design, software development and automated testing
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, computer science engineering, or related field;
- Experience in Agile techniques, preferably some experience with BDD and TDD
- Understands the complete vertical platform environment (technical stack)
- Exposure to distributed (multi-tiered) systems and relational databases
- Good collaboration and communication skills across all cultures and band levels, and enthusiastic about keeping up to date with new technologies
- Core Java and J2EE
- HTML, CSS and Angular JS
- AWS (This is a nice skill he has so was discussed but not relevant to BIP)
- API development (with exposure to microservices)
- Oracle 12g
Some of the following experience would also be desirable:
- Knowledge of Spring including MVC, AOP, Spring Boot, REST, XML, Microservice architecture, Cucumber, JPA, JUnit, Mocking, JSP, Oracle DB SQL.
- Experience with Functional Programming practices.
- Cloud experience, for example Docker, OpenShift, Unix and service discovery tools.
- Experience with performance and monitoring tools e.g. Splunk and App Dynamics.
- Experience developing RESTful API’s and micro services.
- Knowledge of automated build/continuous delivery, experience of Maven, Jenkins, Groovy and other JVM languages a plus.
- Current knowledge of payments industry, financial services or FinTech.
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
A competitive benefits offering designed to support our employees’ total health
and wellbeing, including:
- Health care scheme
- Defined contribution pension plan
- Dental scheme
- Virtual GP
- Life assurance
- Income protection
- Core holiday allowance with opportunity to buy or sell additional days
- A range of flexible benefits to choose from designed to suit your lifestyle: healthcare plan options, health assessments, critical illness coverage, cycle to work, season ticket loans
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com or 00800 83 000038 (free phone, subject to individual carrier charges). For Russia based candidates on 810 800 83 000038.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time